Westwood Community Council Meeting
A G E N D A
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 ▪ 7:00 p.m.
Belmont Village Westwood ▪ Town Hall community room (ground floor)
10475 Wilshire Boulevard ▪ Westwood ▪ Los Angeles, CA 90024
For more information about the Westwood Community Council please visit: http://www.westwoodcommunitycouncil.org
- Call to Order: Steve Sann, Chair
- Reading of the WCC’s Mission Statement: Joyce Foster, Past President, Westwood Homeowners Association and Past President, West Los Angeles Area Planning Commission
- Welcome and Introductions of Board members, guests, and members of the public
- Certification of Quorum
- Consideration of the Agenda (Note: items below may not be heard in the order listed.)
- Introduction and conversation with new UCLA Administrative Vice Chancellor Michael Beck and UCLA Assistant Vice Chancellor for Housing & Hospitality Services Peter Angelis, followed by Q&A with Board members (recommended time: 40 minutes)
- Reports from Government and Public Agency Liaisons (3-5 minutes per report)
- Office of Congressman Ted Lieu: Janet Turner, Field Representative & Constituent Services
- Office of California Senator Ben Allen: David Lorango, Ambassador
- Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti: Daniel Tamm, Westside Area Representative/Chief Service Officer
- Office ofCouncilmember Paul Koretz: Faisal Alserri, Senior Planning Deputy
- LAPD West Los Angeles Community Police Station: Christopher Ragsdale, LAPD Senior Lead Officer
- UCLA Government and Community Relations: Carmen Healey, Assistant Director
- Treasurer/Chief Financial Officer’s Report: Jerry Brown, Treasurer/CFO
- Announcements and Concerns from Board Members
- Upcoming public hearings, meetings, and other events of interest (information only, no action):
- Westside Regional Alliance of Councils (WRAC) Board meeting with Congresswoman Karen Bass: Wednesday, July 20, 8:30 a.m. (third Weds. every month); Lenny’s Deli, 2379 Westwood Blvd.
- Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, July 20, 6:00 p.m. – (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Blvd.
- Westwood Village Improvement Association Board (WVIA) (Business Improvement District) featuring presentation on “Designing Westwood” by UCLA Visiting Lecturer John Kaliski: Thursday, July 21, 8:30 a.m. (third Thursday every month); Skylight Gardens, 1139 Glendon Ave.
- Resurfacing of Wilshire Boulevard, from Westwood Boulevard to Manning Avenue: Saturday and Sunday, July 23-24, 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.; use Santa Monica Boulevard as alternative east-west route
- West L.A. Chamber “First Wednesday Breakfast”: Wednesday, August 3, 7:00-9:00 a.m.; Olympic Collection, 11301 West Olympic Boulevard; WCC members can attend at “member rate”
- Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, August 3, 6:00 p.m. – (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Blvd.
- Westwood Neighborhood Council (WWNC): Wednesday, August 10, 7:00 p.m. (second Wednesday every month); Westwood Presbyterian Church, Hoffman Hall, 10822 Wilshire Blvd.
- Westside Regional Alliance of Councils (WRAC) Board: Wednesday, August 17, 8:30 a.m. (third Wednesday every month); Lenny’s Deli, 2379 Westwood Boulevard
- Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, August 17, 6:00 p.m. (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Blvd.
- Westwood Village Improvement Association Board (WVIA) (Business Improvement District): Thursday, August 18, 8:30 a.m. (third Thurs. every month); Skylight Gardens, 1139 Glendon Ave.
- 8th Annual UCLA Volunteer Day: Monday, September 19th; Volunteer Project Leaders and Task Captains needed; sign up at volunteer.ucla.edu/volunteer-day
- Other Announcements or Concerns from Board Members
- Neighborhood Integrity Initiative (Coalition to Preserve LA; 2preservela.org) – Joyce Foster
- Reports from Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees/Liaisons
- Recommendation on request for support for Conditional Use Beverage (CUB) Permit for sale and service of beer and wine for on-site consumption at SpireWorks, a fast-casual eatery at 1061 Broxton Avenue (former Five Guys Burgers & Fries) – Mike Metcalfe, Chair, Planning and Land Use Committee
- Report on Mobility Plan 2035 and alternative bike lane on Gayley/Midvale Avenues in lieu of Westwood Boulevard – Sandy Brown
- Report on BizFed Board meeting (Tuesday, June 21) – David Lorango, WCC liaison to BizFed
- Report on Neighborhood Council/Community Council BBQ in honor of Independence Day with Mayor Eric Garcetti (Tuesday, July 5) – Steve Sann
- Mayor’s “Welcome Home Project” (toward ending Homelessness)
- Mayor’s “Healthy Streets” program
- Mayor’s Sustainable City pLAn: “Transforming Los Angeles – Environment, Economy, Equity”
- Mayor’s “Clean Streets Initiative” (Clean Streets Challenge Grants available for up to $25,000)
- Old Business – None
- New Business
- Resolution to Support Request to Council Office to invoke Charter Section 245 regarding the denial of appeal by West L.A. Area Planning Commission regarding Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for proposed new Fraternity House at 611 Gayley Avenue (due to Procedural Due Process violation from City’s failure to mail required Public Hearing Notice to Westwood Neighborhood Council and Westwood community members who filled out Speaker Cards at prior DRB hearings) – Steve Sann
- Discussion on Sober Living Facilities in R-1 Zones – introduced by Carole Magnuson (on behalf of WHPOA President Terry Tegnazian and Sunset Boulevard neighbor Mike Schwartz)
- General Public Comment (on non-agendized topics of interest to the public, within the subject matter and jurisdiction of the WCC) (10 minutes maximum, 2 minute per speaker)
- Next Regular WCC Meeting: Tuesday, September 20, 7:00 p.m., Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall community room, 10475 Wilshire Boulevard
- Motion to Adjourn
In accordance with its Bylaws, the Westwood Community Council (WCC) shall provide an opportunity in open meetings for the public to address items of interest to the public that are within the subject matter and jurisdiction of the WCC. Individual testimony within the Public Comment period shall be limited to two (2) minutes per person and up to ten (10) minutes per subject. However, the WCC Chair has the discretion to modify the time allotted on each subject, to each speaker, and the number of speakers per subject. Items may be called in any order at the discretion of the WCC Chair. EVERY PERSON WISHING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD DURING THE MEETING MUST COMPLETE A SPEAKER’S CARD AND SUBMIT IT TO THE CHAIR OF THE COUNCIL. The agenda is posted for public review at the Westwood Branch Public Library, 1246 Glendon Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, and at http://www.westwoodcommunitycouncil.org online. Belmont Village Westwood provides free covered self-parking in its underground garage, accessed from the driveway at 10475 Wilshire Boulevard, and also is accessible via public transportation by all bus lines serving Wilshire Boulevard. Belmont Village Westwood, including its Town Hall Community Room, is an ADA accessible facility.