The Westwood Community Council meeting scheduled for March 17, 2020 has been cancelled. The next WCC meeting is scheduled for May 19, 2020.
A G E N D A
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 ▪ 7:00 p.m.
Belmont Village Westwood ▪ Town Hall community room (ground floor)
10475 Wilshire Boulevard ▪ Westwood ▪ Los Angeles, CA 90024
For more information about the Westwood Community Council (WCC) please visit: http://www.westwoodcommunitycouncil.org
1. Call to Order: Steve Sann, Chair
2. Reading of the WCC Mission Statement: John Heidt, Westwood United Methodist Church
3. Welcome and Introductions of Board members, guests, and members of the public
4. Certification of Quorum
5. Consideration of the Agenda (Note: items may not be heard in the order listed below.)
6. Reports from Government and Public Agency Liaisons (3-5 minutes per report)
- A. LAPD West Los Angeles Community Police Station: Christopher Ragsdale, LAPD Senior Lead Officer
- B. Office of Congressman Ted Lieu: Janet Turner, Senior Field Representative & Constituent Services
- C. Office of Assemblymember Sydney Kamlager, Jamie Kennerk, Field Representative
- D. Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti: Ami Fields-Meyer, West Los Angeles Representative
- E. Office of Councilmember Paul Koretz: Jasmine Shamolian, Field & Policy Deputy
- F. UCLA Government and Community Relations: Carmen Healey, Assistant Director
7. Special presentation, project update, and possible motion on the proposed State licensing of The Watermark at Westwood Village, 947 Tiverton Avenue (former Vintage Westwood Horizons site) – Allison R. Marty, Managing Director, Watermark Retirement Communities
8. Announcements and Concerns from Board Members
- A. Upcoming public hearings, meetings, and other events of interest (Information only, no action; see calendar of meetings, public hearings, and events of interest at end of this Agenda).
- B. 2020 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count in Westwood – Wednesday, January 22, 10:00 p.m. (meet at Westwood Presbyterian Church, 10822 Wilshire Boulevard, free parking on site).
- C. Kelly Music Building (aka Alice’s Restaurant/Tanino Ristorante), 1041-1043 Westwood Boulevard – Successfully declared a Historic-Cultural Monument by Los Angeles City Council in December 2019
- D. Grand Opening of The Galerie at Fellow, 1073 Glendon Avenue, Saturday, February 1, 5:00-7:00 p.m., art exhibition by artist Rachel Rubinstein and unveiling of new special event space (free to the public)
9. Reports from Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees/Liaisons
10. Old Business
- A. Report on Board of Recreation and Parks Commissioners’ meeting of January 16th re proposed second synthetic Multipurpose/Soccer Field at Westwood Park (aka “Tommy’s Field”) – Sandy Brown
11. New Business
- A. Presentation and discussion on proposed Westwood Village historic preservation, restoration, and adaptive reuse framework to achieve community revitalization, and proposal to engage UCLA Urban Planning Masters student and fourth-generation Westwood resident Samuel Siegel to prepare a Capstone Research Project report and presentation to the WCC in May 2020 – Steve Sann and Sam Siegel (Masters Candidate, Urban and Regional Planning, UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs)
12. General Public Comment (on non-agendized topics of interest to the public, within the subject matter and jurisdiction of the WCC) (10 minutes maximum, 2 minutes per speaker)
13. Next Regular WCC Meeting: Tuesday, March 17, 7:00 p.m., Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall community room, 10475 Wilshire Boulevard
14. Motion to Adjourn
EVERY PERSON WISHING TO ADDRESS THE WESTWOOD COMMUNITY COUNCIL (WCC) ON AN AGENDA ITEM MUST COMPLETE A SPEAKER’S REQUEST CARD AND SUBMIT IT TO THE WCC CHAIR PRIOR TO THE WCC’S CONSIDERATION OF THAT ITEM. In accordance with its Bylaws, the WCC shall provide an opportunity in open meetings for members of the public to address the WCC on agenda items at the time the respective item is considered. Individual testimony on agenda items shall be limited to two (2) minutes per person. Public comments on all other non-agendized topics of interest to the public which are within the subject matter and jurisdiction of the WCC shall be made during the General Public Comment period, and shall be limited to two (2) minutes per person and up to ten (10) minutes per subject. However, the WCC Chair has the discretion to modify the time allotted for each agenda item and each speaker depending on the number of speaker request cards received and the time available for each agenda item and each non-agendized topic. Items may be called in any order at the discretion of the Chair. The agenda is posted for public review at the Westwood Branch Public Library, 1246 Glendon Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, and at http://www.westwoodcommunitycouncil.org online. Belmont Village Westwood provides free covered self-parking for motor vehicles and bicycles in its underground garage, which may be accessed from the driveway at 10475 Wilshire Boulevard, and also is accessible via public transportation by all bus lines serving Wilshire Boulevard. Belmont Village Westwood, including its Town Hall community room is an ADA accessible facility. 3
Westwood Calendar of Upcoming Meetings, Public Hearings, Holidays, and Events of Interest:
2020 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count in Westwood: Wednesday, January 22, 10:00 p.m., meet at Westwood Presbyterian Church, 10822 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
Friends of Westwood Library Pop-Up Book Sale: Saturday, February 1, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 noon, Westwood Branch Public Library, 1246 Glendon Avenue (free parking on site)
Grand Opening of The Galerie at Fellow: Saturday, February 1, 5:00-7:00 p.m., art exhibition by artist Rachel Rubinstein and unveiling of new special event space, public invited, 1073 Glendon Avenue
Opening Celebration of new Hammer Museum Exhibition: Saturday, February 1, 8:00-11:00 p.m., Paul McCarthy – Head Space Drawings (1963-2019), 10889 Wilshire Boulevard; rsvp: hammer.ucla.edu/winterparty20
Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, February 5, 6:00 p.m. (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
North Westwood Neighborhood Council Board (NWNC): Wednesday, February 5, 7:00 p.m.; (first Wednesday every month); UCLA Weyburn Commons, Village View Room (4th floor), 11020 Weyburn Drive
Westwood Neighborhood Council Board (WWNC): Wednesday, February 12, 7:00 p.m. (second Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
President’s Day Holiday: Monday, February 17
Westside Regional Alliance of Councils Board (WRAC): Wednesday, February 19, 8:30 a.m. (third Wednesday every month); West L.A. Municipal Building, 2nd Floor Conference Room, 1645 Corinth Avenue
Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, February 19, 6:00 p.m. (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
Iconic Westwood Village Guided Tour and Bar Crawl: Saturday, February 22, 12:00 noon-5:00 p.m., Co-sponsored by Westwood Village Improvement Association (BID) and Los Angeles Conservancy, featuring five Westwood Village restaurants & bars – Audrey at the Hammer, Broxton Brewery & Public House, Fellow, Rocco’s Tavern, and Skylight Gardens (ticketed event, 21+; $30/per guest includes small bites and one drink per location)
Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, March 4, 6:00 p.m. (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
North Westwood Neighborhood Council Board (NWNC): Wednesday, March 4, 7:00 p.m.; (first Wednesday every month); UCLA Weyburn Commons, Village View Room (4th floor), 11020 Weyburn Drive
Westwood Neighborhood Council Board (WWNC): Wednesday, March 11, 7:00 p.m. (second Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
Westwood Community Council Board (WCC): Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 7:00 p.m. (third Tuesday every other month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall, 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
Westside Regional Alliance of Councils Board (WRAC): Wednesday, March 18, 8:30 a.m. (third Wednesday every month); West L.A. Municipal Building, 2nd Floor Conference Room, 1645 Corinth Avenue
Westwood Community Design Review Board (DRB): Wednesday, March 18, 6:00 p.m. (first and third Wednesday every month); Belmont Village Westwood, Town Hall; 10475 Wilshire Boulevard (free parking on site)
Westwood Village Improvement Association Board (WVIA) (Business Improvement District “BID”): Thursday, March 19, 8:30 a.m. – (third Thursday every other month); Skylight Gardens, 1139 Glendon Avenue
At its July meeting, WCC’s Board of Directors voted unanimously to support a one-seat Valley-Westside Sepulveda Transit Corridor Project alignment that provides below-ground heavy rail with a terminal on the UCLA campus and a direct connection to the Westwood Purple Line. In so doing, the Board rejected an alternative proposal that would link the Valley and LAX via an above-grade monorail down the center of the 405 freeway.
The monorail alternative would carry fewer passengers than the heavy rail options and would not connect directly with UCLA which is expected to generate a large proportion of the cross-mountain passengers. This monorail option proposes to link to UCLA by building an elevated people mover that would pass above both Wilshire and Westwood Blvds. to reach campus. This latter proposal is called a two-seat option because passengers must use two conveyances to reach their desitinations and is expected to reduce UCLA-bound ridership on the proposed cross-mountain service.
In other action, the Board voted to support a Westwood Regional Alliance of Councils (WRAC) motion to support Citywide Sign Ordinance Version B+ which disapproves amnesty for existing unpermitted billboards, disapproves “grandfathering” of pre-2009 sign districts, restricts new off-site signs, including digital billboards among other provisions.
The next meeting of the WCC Board will take place at 7 p.m., July 16, 2019, in the Community Room of Belmont Village Westwood, 10475 Wilshire Blvd. The meeting will include a presentation on Metro’s proposed Sepulveda Corridor Transit Project by Renée Fortier, Executive Director of UCLA Events & Transportation, and Dave Karwaski, Director of UCLA Mobility Planning & Traffic Systems.
UCLA’s new Administrative Vice Chancellor, Michael J. Beck, and Housing Director Peter Angelis, will be featured speakers at the July 17 meeting of the Westwood Community Council Board of Directors. They are expected to address a wide range of topics including Planning for the Olympic Games, housing needs related to increasing enrollments, and the challenges of operating a campus with a daily population larger than many small cities. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the Community Room of Belmont Village Westwood, 10475 Wilshire Blvd. 90024. Parking is available under the building.
1. Le Conte-Gayley Mixed Use Project (10970 Le Conte Ave.)
Currently before Westwood DRB (9/13/13)
2. Weyburn Terrace (11000 Weyburn Dr) UCLA graduate student housing
3. ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen (10959 Broxton Ave.) Under construction
4. Gayley-Kinross Mixed Use Project (10955-10959 Gayley Ave.) Renovation of three-building complex and restoration of historic building facade. Expected completion fall 2014.
5. Shepard Mitchell Building Historic Renovation (1108-1144 Gayley Ave), DRB approved, Expected completion fall 2014.
6. Lindbrook-Gayley Mixed Use Project (10917-10925 Lindbrook/ll08-ll14 Gayley) Under construction.
7. The Gayley at Wilshire (10955 Wilshire Blvd.) R.M.Stern designed 29-story hotel or condominium, fully entitled.
8. Majestic Crest Theater (1261 Westwood Blvd.) Historic cinema reopened May 2013.
9. iPic Theater Westwood (10840 Wilahire Blvd.) Under construction. Expected to open early 2014.
10. Plaza la Reina (10844 Lindbrook Dr.) Luxury extended stay hotel under construction. Expected completion July 2014.
11. The Boiling Crab (1097 Glendon Ave.) Seafood restaurant. Approvals in process. Expected completion early 2014.
12. Holmby Hall Seismic Upgrade and Interior Improvements (901-951 Westwood Blvd./10902-10914 Le Conte Ave,/10901-10909 Weyburn Ave.)Seisimic upgrade and improvements of historic structure. In planning.
13. Broxton-LeConte Mixed-Use Project (corner of Broxton and LeConte) Mixed Use. Planning stages.